At Origen we have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Legal Counsel to be part of shaping the world’s future by decarbonizing hard-to-abate industry and removing CO2 from the atmosphere. We aim to be the global leader in carbon dioxide removal solutions.
Our vision is “The Atmosphere Restored.” We have successfully developed a technology to decarbonize carbon-intensive minerals production, which can be leveraged to remove billions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. This is the industrial scale needed, to mitigate the worst effects and reverse climate change.
At Origen, we believe in Blue Sky DOING, and translating thinking into action. In partnership with Singleton Birch, a leading independent lime manufacturer, we have constructed a pilot plant that demonstrates Origen’s differentiated approach to producing zero-carbon lime. We have strong traction and line of sight to follow-on commercial scale projects in both the US and UK, in the lime sector and beyond.
In addition to decarbonizing the lime sector (a 400 Mtpa CO2 emission opportunity in itself), our zero-carbon lime enables multiple pathways to carbon dioxide removal. One of those CO2 removal pathways includes the recently announced Stripe-led Frontier awarded project Calcite-Origen which will remove >1,000 tonnes of CO2 using our pilot kiln and the 8 Rivers invented Calcite air contactor. The combination of technologies is an exciting collaboration between companies and has the potential to rapidly reach giga-tonne scale at a cost of <$100/t. In parallel to this Direct Air Capture partnership, Origen continues to advance its own R&D efforts on lime-based Carbon Dioxide Removal. This has never been a better time, come join the team!
your part to play – Origen is seeking an experienced, self-motivated Project Manager who can embody and apply our values: Curiosity; Persistence; Collaboration; Transparency; Simplicity.
You’ll report directly into our COO, but naturally you’ll partner all departments within the business as we look to continue our growth worldwide.
what you’ll be doing as Lead Legal Counsel.
- You will advise on critical legal issues and consult with our SLT to asses potential impacts on strategy and operations.
- We’ll draw on your knowledge of UK and IPR for Trademarking strategy for the organisation
- You’ll support our funding rounds, ensuring we have the correct governance in place and our Data Bank supplemented
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts, 3rd party vendor agreements, service agreements and consulting agreements.
- Advise on the interpretation of legal documents, laws and regulations regarding complex issues & concepts, whilst managing risk to the organisation.
- It is anticipated that in the future, the role may develop to include working with the compliance function to ensure understanding of and adherence to the company’ policies and procedures.
skills & qualities we are looking for in a Lead Legal Counsel.
- The ideal candidate will be a UK qualified solicitor with at least 4 years practical experience of English law.
- Owing to the nature of the business and broad range of responsibilities on offer, this is a role which could suit a broad range of individuals from different specialisms which include commercial contracts, construction and engineering and commercial projects. Broad knowledge and experience of contracts is a key requirement.
- Experience with IPR and Trademarking is highly desirable.
- Experience with US legal matters would be an advantage.
- Experience working in a ‘start-up’ environment would be an advantage.
- Experience working within an environment involving funding rounds and/or investors is desirable.
- Brings the versatility to the role, coupled with a desire and ability to enjoy a wide variety of legal issues.
- Demonstrates commercial awareness and ability to prioritise between matters of varying levels of operational and/or strategic importance.
- Develops strong and productive relationships with colleagues and external third parties including suppliers and regulatory bodies.
- Has a proven level of technical legal ability blended with commerciality, proactivity and the ability to anticipate and respond appropriately to any changes in legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Is an effective communicator with the ability to articulate themselves clearly and be understood by members of the board and senior managers.
what we can offer.
For the successful Lead Legal Counsel, a competitive salary & package (reflective of experience) is on offer including share options; bonus, and; performance dialogue and reward scheme is available. The role is home-based however we do have a base in the Greater Manchester area. We also offer a ‘grown-up’ / common-sense approach to working-hours to provide the flexibility to ensure an optimal work-life balance.