At Origen we have an exciting opportunity for a EC&I Engineer to be part of shaping the worlds future by decarbonizing hard-to-abate industry and removing CO2 from the atmosphere. We aim to be the global leader in carbon dioxide removal solutions.
Our vision is “The Atmosphere Restored.” We have successfully developed a technology to decarbonize carbon-intensive minerals production, which can be leveraged to remove billions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. This is the industrial scale needed, to mitigate the worst effects and reverse climate change.
At Origen, we believe in Blue Sky DOING, and translating thinking into action. In partnership with Singleton Birch, a leading independent lime manufacturer, we have constructed a pilot plant that demonstrates Origen’s differentiated approach to producing zero-carbon lime. We have strong traction and line of sight to follow-on commercial scale projects in both the US and UK, in the lime sector and beyond.
In addition to decarbonizing the lime sector (a 400 Mtpa CO2 emission opportunity in itself), our zero-carbon lime enables multiple pathways to carbon dioxide removal. One of those CO2 removal pathways includes the recently announced Stripe-led Frontier awarded project Calcite-Origen which will remove >1,000 tonnes of CO2 using our pilot kiln and the 8 Rivers invented Calcite air contactor. The combination of technologies is an exciting collaboration between companies and has the potential to rapidly reach giga-tonne scale at a cost of <$100/t. In parallel to this Direct Air Capture partnership, Origen continues to advance its own R&D efforts on lime-based Carbon Dioxide Removal. This has never been a better time, come join the team!
Your part to play – Origen is seeking an experienced, self-motivated EC&I Engineer who can embody and apply our values: Curiosity; Persistence; Collaboration; Transparency; Simplicity.
Reporting into the Senior EC&I Engineer, this role is responsible for ensuring delivery of EC&I requirements for our Engineering and R&D projects.
You will coordinate and collaborate with other departments and external suppliers to ensure all phases of the project is understood and actioned according to the project plan. We are looking for a creative and dedicated individual, who has a curious nature, who will fit with our collaborative culture. If you enjoy working with other professionals who believe in creating innovative solutions to problems, we encourage you to apply.
What you’ll be doing.
- Support development and implementation of EC&I systems on Calciners for production of zero carbon lime
- Support development and implementation of EC&I systems on R&D equipment especially delivery of Technology Roadmap projects
- Work collaboratively with Process Engineers to design and develop P&I diagrams
- Familiar with low voltage regulation BS 7671:2018 as amended
- Write Functional Design Specifications from P&I diagrams under supervision of Senior Process Engineer
- Conduct SIL rating risk assessments to determine requirements
- Contribute to hazard area classificaiont (HAC) assessment.
- Managng minor modifications on HMIs
- Assist in commissioning plant
- Work with suppliers to deliver required designs and equipment
- Proposing energy efficient savings of the installation from electrical part (e.g. high efficiency motors)
- Creatre standard libraries for PLC programming and HMI according to specifications
- Responsible for creating database from main operational parameters of the kiln in f.e. SQL (MySQL or PostgreSQL) and making sure that data/software is backed up on regular basis
- Travel to site and suppliers as required
Skills & qualities we are looking for.
- Electrical Engineering Degree or similar
- A passion for climate action and carbon removal technologies, couple with the drive to develop solutions.
- Chartered Engineer status (or working towards it)
- Familiarity with IEC 61508 & 61511 safety standards, CE and UKCA marking methods, software development (typically Siemens PLCs), and industrial thermoprocessing equipment (EN 746-2)
- Ideally you will have experience in design and delivery of engineered equipment typically on complex multi disciplinary engineering projects of at least £10m within Chemical, EPC, Oil & Gas, Mechanical Handling, Water Treatment, Engineered Products (or similar heavy process and/or processing/production related industries).
What we can offer.
For the successful EC&I Engineer, a competitive salary & package (reflective of experience) is on offer including share options; bonus, and; performance dialogue and reward scheme is available.
The role is home-based however we do offer access to a nationwide network of co-working spaces and a base in the Hull area at our Pilot site. We also offer a ‘grown-up’ / common-sense approach to working-hours to provide the flexibility to ensure an optimal work-life balance.