At Origen, we have an exciting opportunity for an R&D Scientist to be part of shaping the worlds future by decarbonising hard-to-abate industry and removing CO2 from the atmosphere. We aim to be the global leader in carbon dioxide removal solutions.
Our vision is “The Atmosphere Restored.” We have successfully developed a technology to decarbonize carbon-intensive minerals production, which can be leveraged to remove billions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. This is at the industrial scale needed, to mitigate the worst effects and reverse climate change.
At Origen, we believe in Blue Sky DOING, and translating thinking into action. In partnership with Singleton Birch, a leading independent lime manufacturer, we have constructed a pilot plant that demonstrates Origen’s differentiated approach to producing zero-carbon lime. We have strong traction and line of sight to follow-on commercial scale projects in both the US and UK, in the lime sector and beyond.
In addition to decarbonizing the lime sector (a 400 Mtpa CO2 emission opportunity in itself), our zero-carbon lime enables multiple pathways to carbon dioxide removal. One of those CO2 removal pathways includes the recently announced Stripe-led Frontier awarded project Calcite-Origen which will remove >1,000 tonnes of CO2 using our pilot kiln and the 8 Rivers invented Calcite air contactor. The combination of technologies is an exciting collaboration between companies and has the potential to rapidly reach giga-tonne scale at a cost of <$100/t. In parallel to this Direct Air Capture partnership, Origen continues to advance its own R&D efforts on lime-based Carbon Dioxide Removal. This has never been a better time, come join the team!
your part to play.
Origen is seeking an experienced, self-motivated R&D Scientist/Engineer who can embody and apply our values: Curiosity; Persistence; Collaboration; Transparency; Simplicity.
what you’ll be doing.
- Support the development of Origen’s laboratory facilities, recommending improvements for the space and implementing the setup.
- Support recruitment of a lab technician and manage their workload on a daily basis.
- Run experiments to explore the carbonation of quicklime and slaked lime with carbon dioxide at a range of reaction conditions (temperature, pressure, concentration)
- Undertake analysis of samples of quicklime, slaked lime and carbonated products to characterise the rate and extent of calcination, hydration and carbonation respectively.
- Work collaboratively with our internal teams and external stakeholders to support the wider Research and Development function – this will include travel to our commercial partners’ facilities.
- Work as part of the team to develop a fully-integrated process to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. The intention is to design a single unit at a scale of ~500,000 tonnes of CO2 removed from the air per year (scale determined by our expectation of the maximum scalability of a single calciner unit). The fully-integrated process will involve calcination, oxygen generation, lime hydration, carbonation of hydrated lime (exploring a range of possible approaches) and CO2 compression, in a manner that optimises heat recovery.
- Develop new ideas into future projects for Origen, in areas specifically related to lime and carbon removal.
- Supervising Masters/PhD students to assist with the work described above
skills & qualities we are looking for.
- Qualified to degree level in a relevant scientific/engineering field
- Proven experience applying advanced R&D techniques
- Experience designing scientific experiments and analysing the results
- Personal interest in developing solutions to around carbon capture & storage.
- The confidence to act as technical lead with external stakeholders, whilst simultaneously being able to deliver concise information to non-technical stakeholders in an easy to understand format.
- An investigative & curious mindset, constantly looking to develop novel solutions to complex problems.
what we can offer.
For the successful R&D Scientist, a competitive salary & package (reflective of experience) is on offer including share options; bonus, and; performance dialogue and reward scheme is available. The role will be home based initially, however you will be expected to setup and maintain a "lab presence" as we develop further down our R&D timeline.